Saturday, December 09, 2006

Kit and the Founding Fathers

I'm sure you've heard that a federal appeals court recently declared the phrase "under god" in the pledge to be unconstitutional. This has seemed so obvious to me for so long, I had just numbed myself to the issue because I thought that fighting it was a pointless and unwinnable endeavour. Anyway, now it's been successfully challenged and that's a good thing.

So, what does Senator Bond have to say about this? He's turned to that tired Republican claim that they know the hearts of the founding fathers:

Our Founding Fathers must be spinning in their graves. This is the worst kind of political correctness run amok. What's next? Will the courts now strip 'so help me God' from the pledge taken by new presidents?

We can only hope, Kit. I get really impatient with this kind of talk. Which founding father exactly are you referring to? Where's your proof that he wanted America to be a theocracy?

Here's a brief history of the pledge and some great opining from Callimachus at Donklephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment